1/1 Photo of Pilaf With Peas and Raisins
Inge 1505's Note:
The raisins will plump up sweet and full of the flavors, the cashews will give crunch and the peas will lend additional color and sweetness. One of my favorites from Yamunda Devi's "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking". Not being a vegetarian I think it is great with a chicken curry and a mixed salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons cashews (sub with almonds)
- 1 teaspoon green chili pepper, deseeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed (whole)
- 1 1/4 cups water (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (sub with 1 t dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1NOTE: This yields a firm textured rice, if you prefer your rice soft add 1 1/2 cups water.
- 2Wash and drain the rice. Start defrosting peas. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3Heat the oil in a small pot over medium heat. When hot add cashews and fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cashews will darken a few shades while cooling.
- 4Raise heat to medium hot, add cumin, chili and ginger to the oil, stir-fry 30 seconds. Add rice and stir-fry another 2 minutes until hot.
- 5Add water, raisins, salt, turmeric, garam masala and herbs. Bring to a boil. Fill into an oven-proof dish, cover tightly and put in middle of the oven for 25 minutes.
- 6After 20 minutes sprinkle defrosted peas on top and recover quickly. Bake another 5 minutes. Carefully fluff rice with a fork, mixing peas in .
- 7Serve immediately sprinkled with the cashews or re-cover, turn off heat and keep hot in oven for 10 -60 minutes until rest of dinner is ready.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pilaf With Peas and Raisins
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 476.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 6.4 g