Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Use shelled, skinned, toasted pistachios. Rick Rodgers
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice or 2 1⁄2 cups texmati rice
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups turkey broth or 5 -5 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup chopped toasted pistachio nut
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring the rice, 5 cups broth, and salt to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to low and cover; simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand for 5 minutes; transfer to a big bowl.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add in scallions; cook/stir until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in dates, pistachios, cumin, oregano, and pepper; stir until very fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir the scallion mixture and parsley into the rice; season with more salt, if needed.
- Transfer to greased casserole; cover with foil and bake in preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes.