Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe for couscous.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, julienne (about 8 ounces)
- 2 sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups couscous
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpeas (canned, or dry, cooked)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- In a 1-cup glass measure, combine the coriander and cumin.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Let cool, then grind the spices with a mortar and pestle or a spice mill.
- Spread the pine nuts on a plate.
- Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just golden and aromatic.
- In a 2 1/2-quart casserole, combine the onions, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until the onions are crisp-tender.
- Add the fennel and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until the fennel is crisp-tender.
- Add the peppers.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until the peppers are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock and margarine or butter to a boil.
- Stir in the couscous.
- Cover the pan, remove it from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the chick-peas and raisins to the casserole.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Place in a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with the spices and pine nuts.
- Add the vegetables and toss to combine.
Wow Andi this is an excellent couscous. We loved it and it is pretty too with all the colorful ingredients. I made it for ZWT #7 and the amazing team Witchin Kitchen!