Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Concocted this jewel of a treat for the upcoming Super Bowl! They look like little footballs wrapped in prosciutto, loaded with unique flavors that "play nicely together", and party-in-your-mouth textures! Just plain fun to eat! :)
- 1⁄2 lb spicy hot Italian sausage, cooked and drained, see note
- 4 -6 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 (10 ounce) containerwhole pitted dates or 36 dates
- 12 slices prosciutto, cut each into 3 long strips
- 36 toothpicks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In medium saute pan, cook sausage til done, breaking up finely as you go. Drain grease.
- Add cream cheese, stir in til melted over low-medium heat. *Start with 4 ounces, and add up to 2 ounces more if needed. *You want the sausage VERY well coated and nice and creamy.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, butterfly dates, but don't cut all the way through.
- Open up each one.
- Cut prosciutto into long strips.
- When filling is cool, place a small mound of it on each date, then close the date around the filling. *If filling is difficult to work with, pop it into the fridge or freezer for a bit to firm up a little.
- Wrap each date with a strip of prosciutto.
- Toothpick through to hold together.
- In large frying pan, add oil and heat til hot, but not smoking.
- Toss in wrapped dates and fry on each side til just very lightly browned.
- Remove from pan immediately with tongs.
- Serve on a "fancy lettuce"-lined platter.
- *NOTE! I use BULK sausage, not sausage in links. But if you can't find it in bulk, and can only find it in casings, just cut off one end of each sausage and squeeze out the meat into the pan. Hope that helps explain everything! :).
I had made up something similar to this but used chorizo instead of the hot Italian sausage. They are rich, so watch what you are serving them with. Definately something different and funky!!!