Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Perfect anytime. Courtesy of Lemon Sugar
Make and share this Pigs in a Blanket recipe from Food.com.
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water, 110 degrees
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 8 (14 ounce) hot dogs, cut in half
- 10 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- kosher salt
- In the bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, water, butter and yeast.
- Combine with the dough hook on low speed for about 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth, pulls away from the sides of the bowl and tacky-elastic.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray.
- Transfer dough to sprayed bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise in a warm, draft-free area for 50-60 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Add the baking soda carefully and slowly, as it could react and boil over.
- Turn the dough out on to your work surface and divide it into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope (approximately 10-12 inches long) and wrap the rope around the hot dog.
- Pinch the ends of each rope very well to prevent them from coming apart during the boiling process.
- Set aside and continue until all of the hot dogs are wrapped.
- Place the wrapped hot dogs into the boiling water using a slotted spoon or a spider, a few at a time.
- Allow to boil for 30 seconds, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to rest.
- Once all of the dogs are boiled, move them to the baking sheets and brush each one with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with the kosher salt, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- When you remove them from the oven, immediately brush them with melted butter and sprinkle more kosher salt, if desired.