Recipe by AmyZoe
This recipe takes a little longer because of the homemade dough, but it's worth the extra time in preparation. I'm pretty sure it came from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup warm milk (110 to115)
- 1⁄3 cup warm water (110 to 115)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 2 teaspoons oil or 2 teaspoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 2⁄3 cups flour
- 10 hot dogs
- 10 cheese slices
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in milk and water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add egg, oil or shortening, salt, remaining sugar, and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cut a 1/4" deep lengthwise slit in each hot dog. Cut cheese slices into strips and place inside hot dogs.
- Punch dough down and divide into 10 portions. Roll into a 5x2 1/2" rectangle and wrap around prepared hot dogs.
- Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.