Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A dense pound cake with lemon, vanilla bean and ground almond, topped with salted pine nuts. Adapted from _Italian Easy_ by Rose Gray and Ruth Rodgers; reprinted at Serious Eats by Caroline Russock. http://bit.ly/cdoJX3
- 18 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan (2 1/4 sticks)
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- Heat oven to 350°F Liberally grease an 8.5x4.5x2.5 loaf pan and line with parchment.
- Bring butter to room temperature in the work bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl). Split the vanilla beans and scrape out the seeds; add to butter. Add sugar and lemon juice and beat on medium using paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating to combine after each addition.
- Chop half the pine nuts coarsely and set aside. Stir together flour and almonds. Add 1/3 of the dry mixture, and beat just to combine. Add another 1/3 of the mixture and repeat. Add the remaining dry ingredients with the lemon zest and chopped pine nuts and stir to combine.
- Toss remaining pine nuts with salt. Spoon batter into prepared pan, top with salted pine nuts and bake 60 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan.