Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe is from week nine of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on. earth, and Anguilla is my ninth stop. Pigeon peas and rice is the national dish of Anguilla. Check yor local Mexican market to find pigeon peas.
- juice of one lime
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 lb corned beef (optional)
- 6 ounces of dried pigeon peas
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the peas overnight (alternately, you can boil them on the stove for about two hours).
- Drain and rinse the peas.
- If using corned beef, add it to the pot with just enough water to cover, and boil until the meat is done.
- There should be about two cups of water in the pot for the next step, so if you are making this with corned beef you'll need to drain the liquid, reserve and measure it, then add enough water for a total of two cups. If you're making it without the beef just add two cups of fresh water to the beans, then bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, lime juice, thyme, hot sauce and butter, then cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer until the liquid is absorbed (for about 20 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.