1/1 Photo of Pigeon Peas and Coconut (Gandules Con Coco)
Pigeon peas and coconut originated from the Samaná region of the Dominican Republic. It is a savory dish with a hint of sweetness from the coconut milk. Serve over white rice. Swiped shamelessly from the 'net for ZWT9. I personally will leave the cilantro out! You can get pigeon peas (gandules) dried, frozen or canned.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat olive oil in a pot. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, and cilantro. Saute for 1 minute.
- 2Add the boiled pigeon peas and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 3Add the chicken bouillon and 3 cups of water. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Mash some of the pigeon peas with a potato masher.
- 4Allow to boil until water is reduced by half - about 15 minutes.
- 5Add the coconut milk and simmer over medium low heat until the mixture reaches a creamy consistency - about 20 minutes.
- 6Serve hot over white rice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pigeon Peas and Coconut (Gandules Con Coco)
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 920.6
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 897.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 145.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 77.1 g
- Protein 24.3 g