Recipe by Sharon123
Pigeon peas are a staple in the Caribbean. If you can find fresh pigeon peas, by all means use them or frozen. Adapted from Vegan Deluxe, who modified it from The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked brown rice (cooked according to directions, with 1/2 Tablespoon garlic salt and some fresh or dried thyme added )
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Set cooked rice aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, oil, thyme, garlic, salt, jerk seasoning, and sugar in large bowl.
- Add peas, tomatoes and celery and mix to coat. Set aside for flavors to blend for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine peas with rice and mix to fluff. Serve warm or at room temperature.