Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Comes from cookitsimply.com. Haven't tried it yet but will update this when I do!
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 young pigeons
- 1 small apple, cored and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 450 ml stock
- 2⁄3 cup cider (1/4 pint)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bouquet garni
- Melt the butter in a flameproof casserole or heavy saucepan and brown the pigeons on all sides.
- Remove them from the pan and cut in half.
- Add the apple and onion to the pan and fry until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring well, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the stock and cider and bring to the boil.
- Add salt, pepper and the bouquet garni and return the pigeon halves to the casserole.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the pigeons are tender.
- Transfer the pigeons to a warmed serving dish and keep hot.
- Strain the cooking liquid and return it to the pan.
- Boil briskly until well reduced, then pour it over the pigeons.
- Garnish with fried apple rings and bacon rashers.