Recipe by I'mPat
This is from our state paper and a feature of recipes through the ages.. Times are estimated. Suggested you have with bread and pickles. Have not included marinating and fridge standing times and times are estimated.
- 1 kg pork belly (kinned boned)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves (whole)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into small chunks and combine with salt and leave to marinate for a few hours, covered in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place all the ingredients into a cast iron casserold dish, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 3 hours.
- The pork should be meltingly tender and fat transluce3nt.
- Lift the meat from its juices and tear into fine sheds with a pair of forks and then pack tightly into ramekins.
- Pour the juices from the casserold dish through a sieve and then pour over the shredded meat and leave to cool and then refrigerate until the fat has set.
- Seal well with cling film.
- Best eaten in the first few day after making.