Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chili Nation; Jane and Michael Stern
- 2 lbs pork loin
- 4 dried chipotle chiles
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°; Sprinkle salt and pepper over pork loin; place pork in a baking pan; roast for 1 hour, until cooked through.
- When cool enough to handle, tear the meat into bite-sized shreds; set aside.
- Put the chiles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Let stand 30 minutes, until soft; then seed and stem them.
- In a food processor, puree the chiles with the tomatoes; set aside.
- In a large pot, saute the onion in hot oil.
- When the onion begins to soften, add in the shredded pork, tossing and stirring it in the hot oil.
- While tossing, drizzle in the vinegar.
- Add in the chile puree, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar.
- Decrease heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with cornbread.