Pierre Dance's Note:
I have a thing for good pickles, of any and all sorts, eggs being one of them. I've been playing around with pickled egg recipes for years. This is my favorite. No one really creats a recipe. We all borrow (steal) a bit from this one and a little from that. It does however boost the ego to call the end result 'mine' even if that is not exactly the truth. I've carefully filed the serial numbers off so I can safely say this one is 'mine'. .
My Private Note
quart j ...
Units: US | Metric
- 16 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickling spices, tied in cheese cloth
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, peeled (3-4 per jar)
- 3 whole jalapenos, topped,quartered lengthwise,seeded and devaine (1 1/2 per jar)
- 2 bay leaves (1 per jar)
- 8 -10 pearl onions, peeled (4-5 per jar)
- 4 -6 whole dried japone chilies (2-3 per jar)
- 1Bring a large pot, half full of water, with 1 Tbs Kosher salt added, to a boil.
- 2Meanwhile pierce the big end of the eggs with a pin.
- 3Fill a large mixing bowl half full of water, add 2-3 trays of ice cubes.
- 4When the pot of water is rapidly boiling spoon the eggs gently into it.
- 5Set timer for 11 minutes.
- 6When timer'dings' remove the eggs to the ice water with a slotted spoon.
- 7Mix the Vinegar and Water in a small pan, add the pickling spice bag.
- 8Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10In sterile jars place the Garlic, Jalapenos, Bay Leaf, Pearl Onions, and Japone chilies.
- 11Shell the Eggs.
- 12Add them to the jars.
- 13Remove the Pickling Spice bag from the vinegar mixture.
- 14Fill the jars with the scalding vinegar mixture.
- 15Seal and let cool to room temperature.
- 16Refridgerate for at least a week, two is better.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pierre's Hot & Tangy Pickled Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (1574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.5
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 1692.0 mg
- Sodium 574.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 51.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried japone chilies