Recipe by Manami
Frozen potato pierogies go gourmet with a savory homemade sauce of golden sauteed onions, crunchy cabbage and tart Granny Smith apples. It has been triple tested at the Goodhousekeeping Research Institute 09/2008 issue. Seems like I always find good recipes at the Dr's. office, then I have to ask them to copy it for me - in between hello's and goodbye's. It sounds really good!!! Haven't tried it as yet - hope to soon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thin slices
- 10 ounces shredded red cabbage (1 bag)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 16 ounces frozen potato and onion pierogies (1 box of Mrs T's)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium until hot.
- Add onion & garlic; cook 5 minutes or until golden and softened, stirring frequently.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add cabbage, cider, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper & pinch of crushed red pepper flakes; cover and cook 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Stir in apple; cover and cook 5 minutes or until cabbage is very tender.
- Meanwhile, in covered 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil with 1/2 cup water to simmering on medium.
- Add frozen pierogies; cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 10 to 12 minutes longer or until pierogies are heated through and pale golden on both sides.
- Serve pierogies on cabbage mixture, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.
- Calories 305; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 550mg(yikes!); Total Carbohydrate 52g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Protein 6g & Calcium --.