Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups meat pieces
- 2 slices bread, wet, squeezed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Grind the meat with bread.
- Add the onions which have been sauteed in the drippings.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare dough, mix the egg with the flour, add a dash of salt and as much water as needed to knead a smooth loose dough.
- Roll out as thinly as you can.
- Cut out 2 1/2 to 3 inch squares.
- Put a little of the stuffing on each square.
- Fold to form a triangle, pinch the edges together.
- Cook in a large kettle with boiling salted water on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove with a colander spoon to a warmed serving platter.
- Add the bread crumbs to the butter and fry for a few minutes on low heat.
- Pour over the pierogi.
Great idea.. I changed a few things to suit my taste.. 1 cup of ground seasoned cooked beef, half red onion chopped super fine sauted ahead in quater cup of butter and bout half pound of potatoes salted and mashed with about quater cup of milk. added it all together folded the wrapper and fried it 1 min. on each side in skillets with 1 tblspon butter. YUM! side of corn and you have a whole dinner. Thanks for the recipe. without it I would of never had the idea!
I was going to post recipie for a Pierogies with meat then I found that. The thing I make different is dough I never add any kind of fat to it because it makes the dough difficult to work with. I use the 2 and half cup of flour with 1 egg and half cup of water and mix it with electric mashine for at least 15 minutes.