Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a wonderful tasting sauce, that enhances the less intense flavor of the pierogies...a great low fat meal, with no fuss.
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml chopped green bell pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 7.39 ml red wine vinegar
- 2.46-4.92 ml dried Italian seasoning
- black pepper
- 453.59 g potato-filled pierogi, fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw before adding them to sauce)
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, combine the crushed tomatoes, shallots, peppers, oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 5-9 hours, OR on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Add in the pierogies; cover, and cook for 1 hour.
I definitely made some changes to this but it was still really really good! Because the recipe was so simple, I just made the sauce in a pan and added the pierogies for the last few minutes. Dinner was done in 20 minutes! I also added some more veggies for a complete meal. The sauce was really good with so few ingredients! Thank you.
This turned out great. So easy to make. The oil and vinegar made it taste a bit different than a pasta sauce, which we liked. Doubled the recipe since we have a big crockpot. Also added some sliced mushrooms. The seasonings were just right. Thanks for sharing- this recipe is a keeper!