Recipe by aquarius3
A recipe I inherited from my grandma. I get asked for it a lot when I take perogies to staff functions. I always double this recipe if I want to fill up my roaster to the brim. If the eggs are not room temp, I increase the heat of the water. The favorite filling of the house is mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese. Second is mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese and ground beef.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour and salt in large bowl.
- In a second bowl, mix together the water, cooking oil and eggs, beat slightly.
- Mix liquids into flour mixture.
- Knead well.
- Prepare perogies with filling of choice.
- To cook - drop perogies in boiling salted water. Cover. When water has almost boiled over pot - lift cover 3 times - remove perogies from pot into roast pan.
- If you are going to freeze perogies, place them on a cookie sheet and in the freezer. Once frozen, they can be removed and placed in freezer bags.
- If you are going to serve them immediately, sauté chopped onions (1 large onion) in butter or margarine (1 cup) and add this to the roast pan. Chopped bacon can also be added.
- Shake well to ensure mixture coats all perogies or layer pan with perogies and sautéed onions as you fill it.