Recipe by *Parsley*
This is a fun soup that uses frozen (Mrs. T's brand) Pierogies. It's quick and easy. The cut-up pierogies release the potato filling and help to thicken the soup.
Top Review by luvmybge
Ahhh.. delicious... Quick... comforting... easy. I tripled the recipe and thickened with a little cornstarch/water. I did the celery, carrot, onion thing. I think most soups needs that. This soup was good... really good.
- 1 (15 ounce) boxfrozen pierogies, potato and cheese filling, thawed partially
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage, packed
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Partially thaw the pierogies enough to cut through.
- Cut each pierogie lengthwise, then 3 times crosswise, so each will be cut into 8 pieces. Don't worry if they rip or fall apart.
- In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cabbage; sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the cut up pierogies and chicken broth.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.