Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Frozen pierogies can be purchased at Costco and other supermarkets. I purchase mine from Schwan's.
Make and share this PIEROGIE CASSEROLE (WONDERFUL) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare frozen pierogies according to package instructions.
- Drain pierogies and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, onions and mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add all other ingredients to skillet, EXCEPT PIEROGIES, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with prepared pierogies.
- Drizzle olive oil over pierogies.
- Then pour contents of skillet over the pierogies and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
This was decent. I'm Polish, so I grew up eating pierogis, and I've gotten so sick of them. This sounded like an interesting twist on regular pierogis, and all in all it's not a bad side dish. Next time I might skip the tomatoes though, they add too much acidity and Poles would never serve pierogies with tomatoes. The mushrooms and onions are a traditional topping though. My parents also liked chopped bacon on theirs as well, and I might try using that next time. This can also easily be served as a main dish if you use meat pierogis, which is nice.
This is fantastic!! I am always looking for new ways to use pierogis, but I may never have them any other way again. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
very good melted some cheese on top 5 stars