Recipe by *Parsley*
I substitute egg noodles for lasagna noodles to make this dish quick to make. I'm always asked to make it for picnics/parties. It goes a long way to feed a crowd since it is so rich. You can make it with or without the sauerkraut, or half and half like I do.
Top Review by allisonrieck
I just used this recipe as a guideline but it was good. I made half for my husband with just potatoes but on my side I added spinach and caramelized onions. I also left out the velveeta and just used more cheddar. Great to adapt to personal preferences. Perfect for the cold weather we're having.
- 1 lb extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 (15 1/3 ounce) box instant mashed potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 (1 lb) package Velveeta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sauerkraut (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, make entire box of potatoes, omitting the butter/margarine called for.
- Saute onions in the 1 cup butter (2 sticks).
- Drain noodles when done; do not rinse.
- While potatoes are hot, mix in onions/butter, and cubed Velveeta and cheddar cheeses.
- Gently fold in cooked egg noodles.
- Add sauerkraut here; if desired.
- Pour mixture into 13" x 9" (or larger) baking dish.
- Drizzle with melted 1/4 cup butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or just until top browns slightly.
- This makes at least 16 servings. Since it is so rich, people generally take less.