Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can add meat and cheese if you want to.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4-1 cup water or 3⁄4-1 cup milk, to moisten dough
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- salt and pepper
- Mix the dough ingredients together and divide into 9 or 10 balls.
- Roll balls into flat circles and fill with potatoes and onion filling.
- Fold in half.
- Press to seal edges.
- Drop in boiling water.
- When they come to the top, remove with slotted spoon and drain.
- Fry the cooked pierogie in a small amount of butter on high heat until browned an both sides.
- Serve at once.
Easy and got lots of compliments. I used a full cup of milk in the dough and rolled and cut them out like cookies for uniformity (made 16). I put a small piece of cheddar cheese beneath each dollop of mashed potatoes. Next time, I will boil them in salted water. I'm sure I will also experiment with more fillings. Thanks!