Found this in the local paper. This is sort of the WV take on the PA pierogi's. It is a common dish for tailgating (or for church pot lucks!). I haven't played with the recipe yet to see what can be done with other common pierogi ingredients.
- Boil egg noodles until al dente. Drain. Add salt and pepper to taste. Melt 1 stick butter into the noodles.
- Cook instant mashed potatoes using water, milk, and butter as required by the instructions on the box. Use whole box.
- Chop onions. Melt 1 stick butter in saute pan and saute onions till soft.
- In casserole pan, layer 1/2 of the noodles. Then layer 1/2 of the onions. Then layer all the potatoes. Top with remaining layers of noodles and onions. Pour all juices/butter over casserole.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.