Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This makes the classic dough for Polish dumplings, which can be filled with potato and cheese, cabbage, or other fillings
- Mix all ingredients together lightly in bowl.
- Knead until smooth.
- Let rest, covered, 30 minutes.
- Using half of the dough at a time, roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut circles with biscuit cutter or floured glass.
- Fill with a golf-ball sized hunk of filling (described separately), pinch to seal.
- Boil 5-8 minutes, until floating.
- Fry in butter until crisp.
I signed onto this site so I could write this review! I am 63, Lithuanian background and love to cook our good old ethnic recipes. This is without a doubt the best and easiest pierogi dough recipe I have used yet. I doubt I will ever bother trying another! I just ate 3 delicious pierogi's made an hour ago. I filled them simply with seasoned mashed potato. Delicious!
I tried this recipe along with a completely different recipe to see which batch would turn out better and more authentic according to my Polish husband. This recipe was the winner! It was much easier to make and work with than the other and the taste and texture were perfect!! I will definately use this recipe again, thank you!
I make a dough very similar to your recipe but my loving Godmother gave me a tip. Instead of adding oil, I add a tsp of sour cream. Give it a try.