Recipe by jonesies
Dough to make your own pierogies. I have then provided filling options that you can choose from, depending on what kind of mood you are in! Don't let the long directions deter you...I've included a lot of options for these babies!
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together, either in a food processor or by hand.
- Form into a ball; cover and let rest approximately 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out onto a board or counter until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut circles with large cookie cutter or drinking glass.
- Choose filling (see options below) and place approximately 1 tablespoon of filling onto each circle of dough.
- Fold dough over filling and crimp with fork, moistening with water if necessary.
- (Option 2: before cutting dough, place filling approximately 3 inches apart on half the sheet of dough, then fold over the other half and cut around mounds.).
- To cook finished pierogies, boil at a low boil (do not over-crowd pierogies in the pot). When the pierogies float to the top, boil for another 5 minutes or so. Remove with slotted spoon and place on cookie sheets to cool. They can then be frozen (or served) and when reheated, can be deep fried, pan-cooked in butter, microwaved (not as tasty) or re-boiled (more bland). Suggested to freeze 1 dozen per bag.
- Filling Variations:.
- Potato and cheese pierogies: 5 lbs of potatoes, boiled until tender and mashed (no milk, just potatoes), mixed with 1 1/2 pounds of your favorite cheese (cheddar is good). Best reheated with pan-cooked method (with butter).Serve with fried onions and butter after cooked.
- Mexican pierogies: (I made these up).
- 1 1/2 lb taco meat (made your favorite way) mixed with 1/2 lb mexican cheese. Deep fry reheat method (or pan fry). Serve cooked pierogies topped with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, sour cream and salsa. Awesome!
- Cheesteak pierogies: (I made these up too).
- 1 large box of your favorite brand of chip steak cooked with 1/2 lb of swiss (or your favorite) cheese. Deep fry or pan fry reheat method. Top cooked pierogies with your favorite tomato or pasta sauce and onions.