Recipe by Lightly Toasted
This recipe is inspired by Yooper's Awesome Pierogi Casserole (which truly lives up to its name!) Awesome Pierogi Casserole We love it, but DH loooooves cabbage pierogi, and I hate messing with lasagna noodles. So I modified it a bit to suit my family's requests....(and I cheat and use instant mashed potatoes, too)
Top Review by Malriah
For this southern girl, this recipe is the epitamy of "yankee food". The casserole is pretty easy to put together. And, yes, I used boxed potatoes, Betty Crocker Roasted Garlic flavor. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't make me jump for joy. It was okay. Dan on the other hand, LOVED it! He didn't rant and rave about it, that isn't his style. He basically said, "wow this is really good." But he said it TWICE which is completely unheard of! I'd like to make it again but cut back on the kraut (I don't really like it but Dan does) and add a little more cabbage to make up for it. I thought about using some chipotle cheddar cheese this time but didn't. I think next time I will, just for the spice. All in all, it was a success. I didn't have to work hard on it, was a decent meal and it made Dan happy. Definatly worth 5 stars in my book.
- 1 package egg roll wrap
- 6 -8 cups mashed potatoes (I use instant to save time--garlic & butter is great)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped bacon
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 8 ounces shredded cabbage
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, brown one onion in 2 tbs butter, add drained sauerkraut, shredded cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a separate skillet, cook bacon and onions to desired"doneness" (I prefer well-done).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Spread 1/3 of the mashed potatoes in 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheese followed by a layer of egg roll wrappers cut to fit.
- Top with bacon mixture, 1/3 of the potatoes, and 1/2 of the cheese, and more egg roll wrappers.
- Spread cabbage-sauerkraut mixture over the this and top with egg roll wrappers.
- Spread remaining potates, top with egg roll wrappers, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with Sour cream.