We in PA love our pierogi's; and here is an easy, tasty casserole that substitutes the real deal. Most commonly served as a main dish, but can be served as a side.
- Cook noodles, drain.
- Melt butter and saute the onions until tender, meanwhile cook mashed potatoes according to package.
- *Steps1 and 2 should be done around the same time.
- Place half of the cooked noodles in the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish.
- Layer with 8 slices of cheese, all potatoes, the remaining noodles and top with remaining 8 slices of cheese.
- Poke holes through the top layer of cheese; pour butter and onion mixture over top, making sure it seeps through the holes.
There is no temperature noted in recipe. I ended up cooking for 45 mins @ 350 degrees, then 400 or 10 mins. It was very good and my friends, who are also polish and pierogi connoiseurs couldn't believe how much it tasted like the real thing. Looking forward to making again, but would appreciate the proper temperature so it will indeed be complete after 25 mins Thanks
Wow Tara!! This was great. I substituted Cheddar cheese for the American but that was the only thing I did differently. Talk about a carb-o-licious meal. I have never had a real pierogi but this was mighty good. Family thought so too. Thanks.
Our family is a very big fan of pierogi's, and very rarely get them. I am very happy with this substitute. However I used cheddar instead of american cheese,real mashed potatoes, and we also added a bit of garlic with the onion. We eat this on Fridays during lent, it is a great and simple meal.