Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A pittsburgh tradition transformed
Make and share this Pierogi Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml mashed potatoes (instant or leftovers is fine)
- 453.59 g shredded cheddar cheese
- 177.44 ml butter
- 2-3 medium onions, diced
- 9-12 lasagna noodles
- Cook noodles as directed on package to al dente.
- Saute onions in 1 stick of butter (may use more if desired).
- Butter 13x9 inch pan with remaining 1/2 stick butter.
- Mix sauteed onions with mashed potatoes.
- Layer noodles, then potatoes, then cheese, and repeat, ending with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Very easy to make. Maybe just a little too much cheese for my personal taste, but I have no complaints. (Mind you, it was a tasty cheddar cheese that I used.) I enjoyed it and will be very glad to cook it again. It stores well in the refrigerator and makes a lovely "topping" for toast when cold.
This was great, my family raved over it! I followed suit and did more mashed potatoes, going with cara66, I used 5 1/2 cups of potatoes. I also adjusted the amount of butter to just 1 stick, I used 2 tbsp. to grease the pan and the rest to saute onion. I only used 1 onion, which was the perfect amount. The cheese I used was half medium cheddar and half sharp cheddar. But this was just simply fantastic!! If I could give more stars, I would. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe.
Three words for this recipe, Fast, Easy and above all DELICIOUS!! I didnt want to go through the peeling, cooking and mashing the potatoes so i used instant,like a fellow reader, i used 4 cups instead of the 1 cup of potatoes (2 cups for each layer). I am a pierogi fanatic and admit that i was skeptical of all these casserole on recipezaar. I chose this recipe and was glad i did. My boyfriend doesnt like pierogi's and he actually had seconds! Thanks for an amazing recipe. I put a dollop of sour cream on top....it was Heaven...i will make this over and over!