Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you don't have the time to make traditional pierogi this is the next best thing with great flavor. I have made this for many potlucks and keep being told to make it again! I copied this recipe from a New York City book years ago.
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles, broken
- 8 potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 16 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- Saute cabbage and onion in 1 cup of margarine in skillet until onion is transparent.
- Cook noodles using package directions.
- Combine cabbage mixture, noodles, potatoes and cottage cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a 9 x 13- inch baking dish. Dot with 2 TBS of margarine. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
It made a TON of food!! I tried to cut it in half, but still had a ton. It was pretty good, but I couldn't get my family to taste...not very attractive....