Recipe by SmHerndon
So fun to make!!! A delicious and versatile Polish dish, that's like a filled dumpling. Traditionally made with cheese, onion, and mashed potato-garlic mixture, I prefer the following inexpensive recipe. But go crazy...create your own filling and share! :-)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces ground beef, browned
- 16 ounces sauerkraut (drained but not rinsed)
- sour cream, plus more for serving
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- DOUGH: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well; knead dough for 10 minutes.
- Dough will be sticky, use extra flour on surface to work the dough.
- Roll to a thickness of about 1/16" - about as thick as a dime. Cut out circles in desired size (the diameter of a coffee mug is good).
- FILLING: Use equal amounts of browned ground beef and sauerkraut - *aprroximately* 16 oz. each, just needs to be equal. Then use enough sour cream to hold mixture together. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- ASSEMBLE: Place about 1 Tbsp filling on one side of each circle of dough. Fold dough over filling and pinch or press edges together with tines of fork - Be careful not to puncture dough!
- BOIL: In a very large stockpot, bring salted water to a rapid boil. Drop pierogi in - several at a time - and boil until the they float to surface.
- Cook time depends on size of pierogi but shouldn't be longer than 12 minutes but as little as 5 minutes.
- Continue until all are cooked, then drain and cover with butter. Add more salt & pepper to taste and serve with sour cream, if desired.