Prep 8 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
A Cuban recipe for pork roast featuring orange juice and garlic.Prep time is marinating time. Found online for ZWT 5.
- 1 (6 lb) pork butt
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup sour orange juice (can use 1/2 cup orange juice and 1/4 cup lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 large onions, sliced thickly into rings (1 lb total)
- Rinse pork roast and pat dry. With the tip of a small knife, prick all over roast, lightly. Place on glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine orange juice with garlic, the salt and spices.Cover roast with this mixture. Layer the onion rings on top of roast.
- Cover baking dish with plastic wrap and marinate roast in the refrigerator overnight, at least 8 hours.
- Remove roast from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place roast in oven (remove plastic wrap) and roast for 4 hours, approximately, or until internal temperature reaches 185Fdegrees. Baste occasionally with pan juices. (Cover with foil is roast begins to brown too quickly).
- Let roast rest, loosely covered, for 15 minutes before carving.
Made this for dinner tonight. It wasn't as hard to make as I thought. Roasted in the oven and then when it was finished I transferred it to the crock pot. Set the crock pot on warm to keep it until dinner. It slid right off of the bone it was so tender. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. My favorite part was the onions, they were to die for! No way I was throwing them away after the roast was done. Yum! Served with oven roasted red potatoes.
This roast was very good. The esae of preparation was even easier. It was juicey and tender. Made for PAC.