Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is so simple but so delishious. It fills the house with a wonderful aroma. A good focaccia loaf is essential to sop up the juices.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove seeds and ribs, but leave the stalks intact for presentation purposes.
- Place the peppers in a lighly oiled roasting pan. (use a good solid shallow roasting pan).
- Cut the peeled tomatoes in quarters and place in peppers.
- Divide the anchovies among the 4 peppers.
- Thinly slice garlic and divide between the peppers.
- Drizzle the olive oil onto each pepper.
- Season with freshly ground pepper. (no salt).
- Roast peppers on the highest shelf of a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
This recipe received 5 stars from both my husband and myself. The directions mention the tomatoes being peeled but not the ingredients; I made sure to peel them. Also, I pressed (not sliced) one garlic clove into each pepper, so a little more than listed. I cooked it over an hour because we like the peppers soft. This turned out just delicious, not too salty. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for a wonderful side dish, Allyoop!
One of my most favourite recipes ever - can't remember where I first read it but my family demand it whenever I go home! It may not be obvious from Allyoop's description, but the peppers need to be sliced vertically - that is from stem to base, not around the middle. Also check after 40 mins as that's all they take in my fan-forced oven. Don't worry about the anchovies - cut them up small and they cook down to a lovely salty savouriness - not fishy at all, in fact undtectable as anchovy (in the same way that unrepentant fish haters will happily eat worcestershire sauce). Don't forget some good quality bread to mop up the lovely oily peppery juices - yum!