Recipe by Steve_G
From "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American"
Top Review by lisa pagan
I remember this show fondly, so I was happy to find the recipe. We ended up with 6 extra pumpkins from a carving contest and it seemed a good time to experiment. Mine also did not set up-however the resulting soup was absolutely yummy. I'll do some research on custard ingredients to try and adjust. It will be worth the effort.Lovely presentation with the cooked pumpkin.
- 1 pumpkin, 5 to 7 pounds
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a lid off the pumpkin.
- Scoop out the seeds and save for roasting later!
- Place the pumpkin in a sturdy baking pan.
- Beat together the remaining ingredients EXCEPT FOR THE BUTTER!
- Pour into the pumpkin and dot with the butter.
- Cover with the pumpkin lid and bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until the filling has set like custard.