Recipe by Lorac
Sugar, spice and everything nice transforms pumpkin pie into a very special breakfast or brunch treat. Butternut and zucchini squash replace the pumpkin and breakfast sausage adds a wonderful savory and spicy touch. A great make ahead dish for brunches and you can substitute canned pumpkin to save time. Ready, Set, Cook #3
- 396.89 g box frozen butternut squash, defrosted or 295.73 ml cooked and pureed squash
- 1 medium zucchini, cooked and coarsely pureed (6-7oz, about 1/2 cup)
- 226.79 g bulk breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ginger
- 1.23 ml clove
- 340.19 g evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pie shell, rolled out to fit a 9 inch deep dish pie pan (4 cup volume)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F (400° is using a glass dish).
- Cook sausage over medium high, breaking up the sausage with the edge of a spoon, until no longer pink, cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, salt, sugar and spices.
- Mix in squashes and sausage, add milk and stir to combine.
- Pour into pie shell and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°F (325° for glass) and bake 40-50 minutes or until a knife blade inserted comes out clean.
- Chill before serving.