Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from an old cookbook from about 1960. You can add almond extract or Kirsch to the filling if you like almond flavoring. I usually add about a tablespoon of Kirsch. This makes 2- 9" pies. You could half the recipe.
- 1419.54-1537.83 ml thawed frozen dark sweet cherries, and juice
- 0.59 ml salt
- 118.29-236.59 ml sugar (I only use 1/2 cup, we don't like our pies too sweet)
- 59.16-73.94 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml lemon juice, fresh or bottled
- Reserve about 1/2 cup juice and mix the cornstarch in it.(4-5 tbsp, depending on how thick you like your filling)
- Mix sugar with cherries and juices and cook till bubbling.
- Stir constantly if cooking on stove stop.
- In the microwave I cook at 5 minute intervals and stir in between.
- Add the reserved juice/cornstarch mixture and stir to mix.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until thickened.
- Cool and use in your favorite pie crust.
This was a delicious cherry filling! I could have eaten it with just a spoon (oh wait, I did!) I used the almond extract.
I am making cherry pies for Thanksgiving, and it was requested that the pies have more of the jelly then cherries. I happened upon this and because all I could find were frozen cherries, this was perfect. I added a little butter for a richer flavor and used the cinnamon seasoning from recipe 4861, to really make this pop. I will definitely make this again.