This recipe is from an old cookbook from about 1960. You can add almond extract or Kirsch to the filling if you like almond flavoring. I usually add about a tablespoon of Kirsch. This makes 2- 9" pies. You could half the recipe.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup juice and mix the cornstarch in it.(4-5 tbsp, depending on how thick you like your filling)
- Mix sugar with cherries and juices and cook till bubbling.
- Stir constantly if cooking on stove stop.
- In the microwave I cook at 5 minute intervals and stir in between.
- Add the reserved juice/cornstarch mixture and stir to mix.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until thickened.
- Cool and use in your favorite pie crust.
This was a delicious cherry filling! I could have eaten it with just a spoon (oh wait, I did!) I used the almond extract.
I am making cherry pies for Thanksgiving, and it was requested that the pies have more of the jelly then cherries. I happened upon this and because all I could find were frozen cherries, this was perfect. I added a little butter for a richer flavor and used the cinnamon seasoning from recipe 4861, to really make this pop. I will definitely make this again.