Recipe by Dorel
This recipe is from an old cookbook from about 1960. You can add almond extract or Kirsch to the filling if you like almond flavoring. I usually add about a tablespoon of Kirsch. This makes 2- 9" pies. You could half the recipe.
- 6 -6 1⁄2 cups thawed frozen dark sweet cherries, and juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar (I only use 1/2 cup, we don't like our pies too sweet)
- 4 -5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh or bottled
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve about 1/2 cup juice and mix the cornstarch in it.(4-5 tbsp, depending on how thick you like your filling)
- Mix sugar with cherries and juices and cook till bubbling.
- Stir constantly if cooking on stove stop.
- In the microwave I cook at 5 minute intervals and stir in between.
- Add the reserved juice/cornstarch mixture and stir to mix.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until thickened.
- Cool and use in your favorite pie crust.