Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
You can use any kind of pie filling you prefer in this coffee cake. My mom always uses cherry, I use strawberry or apple. Please don't substitute other ingredients (i.e. wheat flour for white flour, etc.) because it will affect the taste. If you want to substitute please try it the way it is written first. Recipe originally from my mom. Number of servings is a guess.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- Place egg into measuring cup and add enough milk to measure 1 cup.
- Add to other ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into 9x13-inch pan.
- Spread pie filling over top of batter.
- Combine remaining 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup melted butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over coffee cake.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes.
- This is best eaten the day it is made.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This is a good cake, I disagree that it is too sweet, I used apple pie filling, but if I were to make again I would include some cinnamon in the cake batter, as well as in the crumble topping. With those two additions, I think it would make a good cake, great!
I made this for my son who loves fruit desserts, but this was way too sweet and definitely didn't work for us. I have a recipe very similiar but with real fruit (I bet fruit cocktail would have been great in this). I think I will stick with that one, because it is wayyyyyyyyyy better and not so sickeningly sweet.
I substituted sour cream for the milk and adjusted this by cutting the baking powder to 1 tsp and adding 1 tsp baking soda. I also added a little more flour to the topping to make it more crumbly. Yummy!