This recipe came from my sister in law. Thanks Steph! When I made pie crust they either turned out dry, rubbery, or too mushy. This one is ALWAYS flaky and golden brown. It is great for a pie that needs to be baked in the shell, a cream pie that needs a pre-baked shell, or I also use it for my homemade chicken pot pie. Ummm. You just can't beat it! (Don't let adding the vinegar throw you. I bet having it curdle the milk is the key to the flakiness of this incredible crust.) With any leftover dough you do not need, roll it out and bake it with cinnamon and sugar. It is so good. You may need to cover the edges toward the end of baking, so keep an eye on it. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. If you are using it for a pie that needs to be baked in the crust, follow pie's directions.
- 2Add 1 tablespoons vinegar to the 1/3 cup milk in a measuring cup to allow it to curdle. Set aside.
- 3Place 2 cups flour in mixing bowl. Make a shallow hole in the flour.
- 4Add 1 teaspoons salt.
- 5Cut in 1 cup shortening until mixture is the size of peas.
- 6Add curdled milk mixture.
- 7Use mixer to mix only until dough forms a soft ball.
- 8Sprinkle flour on wax paper on top of cutting board and place 1/2 ball on it. Use flour on top as you are rolling if the dough is soft. Do not roll too thin. (Use the other 1/2 for a top or another pie shell.).
- 9Fold wax paper gently in half and place the dough in a pie plate, unfolding until it fits.
- 10Make a pretty edge cutting excess off it necessary.
- 11Bake crust for 5-10 minutes if you just need a pre-baked crust. If you are using it for a pie that needs to be baked in the crust, follow pie's directions.
- 12While baking, watch to see that the the crust does not get too brown.
- 13Cover the edges with foil that last part of baking if necessary.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pie Crust - No Fail
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.8
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 296.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g