Recipe by breezy62
Old recipe from mom for great flaky pie crust. Have recipe card in her handwriting and it says Southern Pastry, even though mom was born in Oregon. So, have no idea where it came from. Mom long gone, me 63 now but will say I still use this recipe. Also, I remember that sometimes she would use 7-up instead of ice water, but not very often.
Top Review by East Wind Goddess
Yep, this is mom's pie crust recipe. Reliable and flaky, it stands back and lets the filling take the credit, but a pie's not a pie without a great crust. "Shortening" can be broadly defined to include Plugra butter in some cases. Worked great with Shaker pie. Thanks!
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and then measure into bowl.
- Add salt.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter until combination forms small balls size of peas.
- Add ice water until mixture begins to look like dough.
- Can be placed in refrigerater for a while or in freezer for some time.
- This recipe is for a 2 crust pie and if making a 1 crust pie recipe can be cut in half.