Prep 5 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum extract or 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream or 1 cup thawed whipped topping
- Sprinkle 1 ½ tsp sugar evenly over bottom and sides of well-buttered 9-inch pie pan.
- Melt chocolate in water in saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks; gradually add 2/3-cup sugar and continue beating until yolks are thick and light in color.
- Blend in chocolate, vanilla and rum.
- Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Fold carefully into chocolate mixture, blending well.
- Measure 4 cups into prepared pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 30 minutes or until puffed and firm.
- Cool 15 minutes then chill 1 hour (Center will fall, forming a shell).
- Meanwhile, chill remaining chocolate mixture about 1-½ hours; spoon into chilled shell.
- Chill again for at least 3 hours.
- Before serving, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate-dipped fruit, if desired.