Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is REALLY REALLY good--much better than Sonic's Chili Pie (but I like and make that too!)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag corn chips (NOT snack size)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beef tamales
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili (without Beans)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Crush corn chips. Sprinkle 1/2 package over the bottom of a 9x11-inch baking dish.
- Unwrap tamales and arrange over top of crushed chips.
- Combine 2 cans of chili and water.
- Pour over tamales.
- Sprinkle onions over chili.
- Sprinkle cheese over onions.
- Top with remaining crushed corn chips.
- Bake in moderate oven (350°) 35 to 40 minutes.
With minimal effort and tasty results, this dish was a winner for us. I used frozen tamales (that I had micro-defrosted) and added a few chopped jalapenos with the onions. It was the perfect slightly spicy comfort food. Leftovers re-heated easily, too. I don't usually have tamales on hand, but may have to add those to my pantry items for this quick supper. I think that it would be great with leftover chili, too.
This was yummy. Everyone liked it. Mom and Dad, of course, loved the onions in it, but ds asked if next time I'd leave the off one end of the dish for him. He'd prefer it without them. He still ate it though.
Super easy, great-tasting comfort food! Add a little bite by using spicy chili or tamales, but beware of using only "hot and spicy" ingredients or you'll end up with a ver-r-ry hot dish. Everyone will think you spent hours on this when you just raided the pantry. Thanks for the recipe!