Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
I attempted to put on a good brown sauce for PCP.. with about 50/50 great vs horrible reviews. Since some people have had great luck with it, as have I, I can only assume the others were doing something wrong in the execution. I read that I cannot remove the recipe, so I'm just cancelling my account. If you have any more hatemail for me because YOUR sauce didn't turn out.. I will not be able to receive it. Best of luck to those who DO know how to cook and enjoy the sauce :) ... S
- 4 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 celery ribs, diced
- 5 -6 medium onions, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup black pepper
- 1 cup dried oregano (flakes)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- Saute onions, celery, and salt until transparent.
- Combine in a large pot with tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 4 hours.
- Add pepper, oregano, and broth: simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add flour and oil. It's like making gravy -- start with 2 cups of each, blend well (I use a big whisk). Depending on how thick you like your sauce, you MAY NEED TO ADD MORE of either. Additional chicken broth may also be used if you would like to thin the sauce.
- Ready to use, jar, or freeze.
This is a great recipe ! Next time I would puree the veg. before adding tomatoes, etc. I used fresh ground pepper so it was a little hot. I like it spicy but you could use less pepper or table pepper to lessen the hotness. Other than that, made 12 mason jars full ....great gifts idea for those away from home!
Great recipe. This recipe makes a total of 4 litres of sauce ( 16 - 1/4 litre servings - enough for 16 pizzas) but I reduced everything by half to make only 2 litres.
My husband grew up in Pictou, and as soon as he looked at the recipe, he told me, "Don't bother wasting your time and our money". A yield of 0.25L of sauce, but it calls for 1/2 cup pepper, 1 cup of dried oregano and a ton of veggies. I also caught that nothing is pureed. <br/>Pictou County Pizza is a BIG Deal......just like Donair. I'd rather pay the shipping to have it sent up here to Ontario than try to make it from scratch.<br/>If you believe that the big 3 in PCP would give away their recipe for the best pizza in the world, you obviously have never met a Maritime home cook/chef/wife/mother....anyone. LOL