Recipe by Bluenoser
This is a typical Nova Scotia dish that uses all the fresh vegetables from the garden.Use any combination you desire.
- 4 -6 cups chopped assorted fresh vegetables (combine baby potatoes,peas,baby carrots,green onions,green beans,broccoli or cauliflower)
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cut in strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook vegetables in boiling salted water til tender,starting with those that need the longest cooking time and adding the others so all will be cooked at the same time.
- Drain reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid
- In a skillet fry salt pork until crisp.
- Remove pork and add onion to the fat in the skillet and saute til tender.
- Add reserve liquid,cream,butter,and salt pork.
- Bring just to boiling and add cooked vegetables.
- Serve piping hot.