Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tender tuna steak with roma tomatoes. Taken from "Eating for Life" by Bill Phillips. Very easy and healthy.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, lime juice, jalapeno and cilantro to make"Pico de Gallo" Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend.
- Preheat a large skillet over high heat.
- Brush both sides of tuna with olive oil and season one side with black pepper.
- Add steaks to hot skillet, pepper side down.
- Sear for 2 minutes, then turn steak over and reduce heat to medium.
- Loosely cover skillet with foil and allow steaks to cook 5 minutes for rare, 7 minutes for medium.
- Serve on top of brown rice and spoon Pico de Gallo over each piece of tuna.
- Squeeze fresh lemon over the top and enjoy!
This is a simple and amazing way to cook fresh tuna! I caught some yellow fin tuna a few days ago and found this tasty recipe to try first. I made everything exactly as listed except I grilled the tuna instead of frying in a skillet. I think this added a nice "smokey" flavor that would have otherwise been missing. The pico was hot (I almost added a serrano and changed my mind thankfully!) but can be adjusted with whatever chili flavor you like best. I will definitely be making this again. Very fresh tasting and healthy. Thank you Hadice!
Fresh and marvelous in summer with tomatoes from the garden.