Recipe by Sharlene~W
Pico de Gallo translates to "rooster's beak" in English (when you dip tortilla chips into it, your thumb and forefinger loosely resemble a pecking chicken). Didn't you always wonder where the name came from?
Top Review by Jessi Cook
I have been looking for a good salsa type recipe for my spanish husband... and then it occurred to me that he might not like salsa but be looking for more of a pico type dish. Needless to say, we tried this one and it was fantastic. I halved the recipe just in case he didn't like it, and I put a little less onion in it and it was still fantastic. The next time I make it, I will make it as is in the recipe and probably double it. I had no idea he would eat the whole bowl! It was great! Thanks!
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped (I prefer to peel them and seed them first)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper