Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a superb salsa fresca, best when made with fresh fully-ripe tomatoes. It is usually served with fajitas, but it works well with other dishes. Literally translated as "beak of the rooster". From the Jamison's book Texas Home Cooking.
- 3 small ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell peppers or 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3 -4 fresh jalapenos, minced
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix well.
- Refrigerate the salsa for a least 30 minutes for the flavors to develop.
- Serve it chilled, with fajitas, chops, or other dishes.
YUM! I love pico and this is a good recipe. I've had pico with bell peppers in restaurants before, and it works REALLY well in this recipe! I used kosher salt and also added a bit of freshly ground black pepper. Thanks for the recipe!
I see what you're doing.Bell pepper instead of onion.But if you have any latin food ,pico is made with onion instead of red bell.
Very bright flavor when the ingredients are fresh. I normally use red onion for additional color and back the peppers down to one or two. Great recipe.