Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my top-treasured recipes of Mom's; though the ingredients are simple, it is truly a labor of love because of all the dicing and chopping, which can take a surprisingly long time. (One of the keys is chopping the pickle, celery, olives fairly small--pickle esp.) You'll enjoy this if you have a taste for tangy things; my mom usually served it with barbecued chicken & corn for the perfect summertime dinner. It's also a dish that seems to get better the longer it's in the fridge (within reason), so you can make it a day or 2 ahead.
- 3 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
- 2 cups chopped hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1⁄2 cup diced dill pickle
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- While the potatoes are cooking, dissolve the salt into the vinegar.
- Dice the potatoes and toss while still warm with the vinegar/salt, pepper and salad oil.
- Combine remaining ingredients together and toss lightly with a long fork.
- Add to the potato mixture.