Recipe from 'Marvellous Meals with Mince' - for all you 'when we's' (ex Rhodesians) out there we curried the mince and it was Bunny Chow - This is a meat, vegetable and cheese loaf cooked within a bread crust. as a balanced meal for outdoor eating, it is convenient, nourishing and sustaining. After cooking it I leave it wrapped in foil and enclosed in an insulated bag. this keeps the heat in well, so that it is still warm when we reach our picnic spot However, if you prefer to make it well beforehand it is also appetising eaten cold. Oven temperture Gas Mark 5/375F/190C
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven. Cut off one end of the loaf. Pull out all the inside, keeping the empty loaf and cut-off end on one side, and whizz it into breadcrumbs in a liquidiser or a food processor. Heat a good blob of butter in a large frying pan and fry the crumbs until golden brown and crisp, stirring all the time.
- 2Chop the leeks finely. Put in a large bowl and mix with the minced beef, tomato puree, grated cheese, chopped garlic and ground coriander. season generously with salt and black pepper and mix in the crisp breadcrumbs and, lastly, the beaten egg.
- 3Spoon the mxture into the empty loaf crust, pressing down slighly but filling right to the brim. Replace the end of the loaf and secure by sticking a skewer through. Smear the loaf all over, especially on top with about 15 g butter, then wrap up completely in foil.
- 4Put the foil package in a roasting pan and cook just below the center of the oven for 1 hour. After cooking, enclose the foil package in an insulated bag to keep hot, if required.
- 5Take a chopping board and a sharp knife on your picnic and cut the loaf into thickish slices just before eating.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picnic Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.3
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.2 mg
- Sodium 580.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 15.0 g