Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This has been a family favorite for 30 years.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (not margarine)
- 1⁄2 tea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Soak the chopped dates in the hot water until cool.
- Cream together the eggs, granulated sugar and shortening.
- Add the salt, soda, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Add the flour, dates and water.
- Pour into a greased and slightly floured 9X13 pan.
- Sprinkle the toppings onto the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Simple and well written recipe. This tasted great and was easy to put together. Thanks.