Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Like a Gazpacho this is a refreshing cold soup - perfect for a picnic. The hour preparation allows for cooling time but I usually make it the day ahead and have it in the fridge over night
- 6 large tomatoes
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, splenda or 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced parsley
- Blanch the tomatoes, dunk in cold water, slice a thin cut off both ends, remove stem end and gently squeeze out the seeds, peel the tomatoes Chop the tomatoes in a food processor.
- Put into a suacepan and add green onions, salt, pepper,sugar, herbs, lemon juice, lemon peel and chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, let cool.
- Check the taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Refrigerate, pour into a thermos for your picnic.
- Take along the sour cream mixed with the chopped parsley.
- When you serve the soup add a dollop of sour cream.
This tomato soup was wonderful! However I did use a large 28 oz. can of "Cento fine cut tomatoes with basil", sinceI could not find any nice ripe home-grown tomatoes.I added some chives along with the parsley to the sour cream.